What to do if you’re in an accident
- Before getting out of your vehicle ensure that all passengers in the vehicle are physically unharmed
- Before exiting the vehicle ensure that there is no oncoming traffic
- Switch on your hazard lights before stepping out of the vehicle. Place a triangle on the road to alert oncoming traffic.
- Call a relative and inform them what has happened, let them know you are uninjured and your location. Let them know you will call back in a short while if you need assistance.
- Call your insurance company and report the accident and be sure to use the correct towing service.
- Take photos or a video of the accident scene, damages, number plates, license disc of any other vehicle involved.
- Try to remain as calm as possible and don’t get involved in a shouting match with the other party or parties involved.
- Once checked there are no injuries to anybody involved and it’s safe, move the vehicles to the shoulder or off the road.
- If anyone has been injured, both and ambulance and the police need to be called and the vehicles may not be moved.
Get the following information from all other drivers involved as well as any witnesses:
- full names and surnames (if the person were driving a car on behalf of a company, full details of the company must be included)
- ID numbers
- Home, cell and work phone numbers
- Physical addresses
- Email addresses
- Vehicle registration
- Description of the vehicles (make, model and colour)
- Names and contact details of the police officials, paramedics and tow truck drivers
- Your location: street name and suburb
- The time of the accident
- Toad conditions and visibility
After the accident:
- Report the accident at the nearest police station within 24 hours
- Write down the name of the police officer spoken to and the accident report reference number.
- Draw a sketch plan of the scene of the accident and make sure that it contains a fixed point so it can easily be traced.
CMH Mazda Menlyn’s knows Bumper Bashing Can Be Stressful so our parts department will be able to assist you with any Mazda genuine parts your vehicle may require. https://www.cmhmazda.co.za/mazda-dealers/mazda-menlyn/ 0123699800