When purchasing a new car or truck there are so many makes and models to choose from, knowing where to start can become a challenge. Therefore, you may still be deciding whether you want an automatic or manual transmission.
CMH Mazda Hatfield has compiled a few pointers to distinguish the Pros and Cons of driving Manual vs Auto transmission vehicles.
Manual transmission cars have been in existence since the mass manufacturer of cars. Most people refer to the manual car as a stick shift.
Manual cars are increasingly cheaper to purchase than automatic cars. If you are buying a car on a low budget go for the manual transmission.
- Driving a stick shift gives you more control since you control gears, thus making it easier for you to slow down and/or stop.
- Manual transmissions require less maintenance because they are a much simpler design. However, the clutch may need to be repaired or replaced at some point.
- Manuals are also more fuel-efficient since you’re not using as much power as an automatic car.
- On average, standard transmissions are usually cheaper than their automatic counterparts
- Requires a higher level of concentration due to manually changing gears with hands and feet.
- Learning how to drive a stick can take some time. Do not expect to purchase a manual transmission and drive it off the lot if you’ve never driven one before.
- Reselling a manual vehicle can be cumbersome since a number of people prefer to drive an automatic car. Many people don’t know how to drive a manual
When driving you have greater control of the car when you are using a manual transmission. However, you need to concentrate and balance your feet when operating the gas, clutch and brake pedals. Your hands are constantly on the gears. Maintenance costs are lower in a manual car than an automatic transmission.
These came later and were mostly fitted on luxury cars. Today most cars have automatic transmission. The lack of the clutch in automatic transmission cars makes it easier to drive. An automatic car offers a smoother ride because you do not need to get the clutch right when driving. It is even easier to drive an automatic car during traffic jams.
- Automatic vehicles are easier to use because the transmission does the shifting for you..
- When driving an automatic car, you are able to keep both hands on the wheel. This adds safety to everyday driving, especially for the new driver.
- Driving an automatic car tends to be more comfortable since there are only two pedals to work with and the driver doesn’t need to concentrate on shifting gears.
- Automatic vehicles cost more in the long run. They cost more upfront and require more maintenance because of their complex design system.
- With an automatic vehicle, you rely on the torque converter to switch gears for you which makes it less fuel-efficient
If you are an inexperienced driver it can be difficult navigating steep hills with a manual transmission. This is especially the case when the car is at a complete stop. Automatic cars let you focus on your steering as both hands are occupied. You also forget those embarrassing moments when your car stalls in the middle of a traffic jam. Driving an automatic car is less stressing during traffic jams. You do not need to constantly press and release the clutch.
The decision to purchase a manual or transmission is a personal one. With a manual car, you have low purchase and maintenance costs. However, the manual car is difficult to drive as you have to constantly have one hand changing gears while your feet are balancing braking and the clutch. The manual gear is hard to learn when you are doing hill starts. But, they let the driver have better control of the vehicle. Manual cars are tiring when you are driving through traffic jams.
Automatic cars enjoy increased in usage. They have become more common. But, they are harder to maintain when compared to manual transmission. They, however, offer a smoother ride. You also have reduced chances of the car stalling. Nowadays, we have automatic transmission with more gears – five, six and even eight-speed. If you are purchasing your first car and are looking for a car for daily commute it is wise to go for the automatic transmission.
Whether you are looking for a Manual or Automatic transmission look no further than CMH Mazda Hatfield
012 366 8700 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Google+: CMH Mazda Hatfield