Car services are carried out, as a rule of thumb, either every 10 000 km or 15 000 km, especially when your vehicle is still “new” and is still within its service and maintenance plan. You’ll notice that only every “other” service is a major service, and the ones in between are known as minor services.
By regularly servicing your vehicle you are likely to see a lot of perks, including increased fuel-efficiency, better handling, improved braking and a smoother running engine. The most important reason to service your vehicle is to maintain its market value.
CMH Mazda Hatfield has compared what is included in a Minor and a Major Service:
What is included in a Minor Service?
Generally speaking, minor services will include:
- Changing the oil
- Changing the oil filter.
- Lubricating the chassis (if it has not been factory sealed)
- Inspection of all fluids, filters, belts, hoses, brakes and emissions.
- Tyre rotation (some manufacturers recommend as a part of a minor service) – although this is more an exception than a rule. Most dealers will, however, check your tyre pressure.
- Check all lights are operating
- Check windscreen washer Level
- Check coolant level
- Check brake fluid level + colour
- Check power steering fluid level
If you have had any snags since the last time your car was serviced, we recommend asking the mechanic to carry out an inspection on the problem areas. Explain to them the issue you are experiencing, and they will advise if further work needs to be carried out before your next service is due.
What is included in a Major Service
Generally speaking, major services will include:
- Inspect vehicle for dents, scratches etc.
- Check all warning lights on dash
- Check rev counter & speedo operation
- Check windshield washers front and back– Operational
- Report on condition of discs & brake drums
- Report on condition of pads & brake shoes
- Inspect all brake components for leaks
- Check mechanical advance on distributor
- Replace points & condenser if necessary
- Replace Oil Filter
- Check Brake pedal travel & squeaking
- Check Door operation
- Check Door operation
- Check Battery
- Inspect coolant system for leaks & levels
- Check diff oil levels and fill if necessary
- Lubricate under body parts with shackle fluid
- Road test (Rattles wind noise, steering, braking stability & noises) & report
- Check wiper blade condition
- Check all interior & console lights
- Inspect handbrake operation
- Brake fluid condition checked
- Check all lights
- Coolant level serviced
- Check Fan belt
- Compression test
- Replace sparkplugs (Where Applicable)
- Inspect suppressors & routing
- Replace air filter
- Inspect CV Joint dust covers
- Check Wheel balance
- Check air conditioner operation & report
- Check Spare wheel & tools
- All grease nipples serviced
- Inspect all shocks & report
Make sure you have read through what your service plan, or the dealerships major service structure consists of. Taking out a service plan on a new or pre-owned vehicle can save you time and money in the long run, and avoid the dilemma of unexpected costs when your next service date rolls around.
When it comes to having your vehicle serviced, you can be rest assured that you will receive nothing less than phenomenal service from CMH Mazda Hatfield.